- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME : 1 ½ to 02 hours
- REFRIGERATION TIME: 16 to 18 hours
- SERVES: 10 kulfi moulds, medium sized.
- CUISINE: North Indian
- COURSE: Dessert
Indubitably India’s best traditional classic and creamy sweet dessert on a stick. A rich frozen dessert that is made with reduced full fat milk with the incorporation of Thandai paste, saffron, pistachio nuts and almonds.
Ingredients and Quantity
- Milk, full-fat- 03 litres
- Khoya, grated- ½ cup
- Sugar- 1/4th cup/ as desired.
- Pistachio nuts paste- ½ tbsp.
- Almond paste- ½ tbsp.
- Saffron, broiled- 01 gm.
For Thandai Paste
- Almonds, blanched, peeled- 1/4th cup
- Cashew nuts- 1/4th cup
- Pistachio nuts- ¼ th cup
- Poppy seeds- 2 ½ tbsp.
- Green Cardamom powder- 1 ½ tsp
- Cinnamon powder- ½ tsp
- Black peppercorns-10 nos.
- Water- as required
For the Garnishing
- Saffron, broiled- ¼ th tsp.
- Pistachio nuts, slivered- 15 gm.
- Almonds slivered- 15 gm.
- Rose petals- a few.
- Wooden skewer sticks- 10 nos.
- For the Thandai paste add all the ingredients mentioned from Almonds to water. Make a smooth paste using a little water and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, boil milk.
- Once the milk is boiled lower the flame and simmer it till it reduces to half its quantity.
- Make sure that you keep stirring the milk in order to prevent it from sticking to the bottom and getting burnt
- Once it is reduced to about more than half of its quantity stir in the sugar until it dissolves completely. Add the pistachio nut & Almond paste. Add the saffron.
- Stir vigoursly to ensure even mixing.
- Add the Thandai Paste. Repeat mixing it vigoursly.
- Turn off the flame. Add the grated khoya and blend well.
- Allow the kulfi mixture to cool completely.
- Pour the kulfi mixture in the kulfi moulds until 3/4th full, seal them airtight and freeze them in the refrigerator.
- Freeze it for 18 to 20 hours or more to freeze.
- Once the kulfi is frozen you can run the kulfi moulds under running water to enable easy demoulding. Unmould / demould by inserting a wooden skewer stick in the centre of the kulfi and pull it out.
- Serve chilled garnished with slivered Pistachio nuts, almonds and broiled saffron. You may also use rose petals for garnish.
- Ensure that you keep the stirring the milk constantly to prevent it from burning.
- If the milk sticks to the bottom of the pan and burns, it is next to impossible to mask the burnt flavor of the milk.
- You may add condensed milk also while simmering the milk.
- You may use earthen pots using the same kulfi mixture to make matka kulfi.
- You may use hot towel technique, in order to avoid too much wastage of water while demoulding kulfi.