- PREP TIME: 08-09 hours in summers / 24 hrs in winters
- COOK TIME : Depending on the size and volume of the Jalebi Karahi i.e. 1.5 mins per Jalebi.
- CUISINE: Uttar Pradesh
- COURSE: Mithais ( Indian Sweets)
- NO. OF PORTION: 50 Jalebis
Lip-smacking Indian sweet, deep fried and dipped in flavoured saffron sugar syrup.
Ingredients and Quantity
For the Jalebi Batter
- Refined flour -500 gm.
- Bengal gram flour (Besan) -100 gm.
- Curd (Beaten) -100 gm
- Salt - A little
- Oil, warm- 50 ml
- Yellow / Saffron colour: A few drops (Permitted edible Colour) (OPTIONAL)
For Pouring Batte
- Muslin Cloth: 01 metre OR Squeeze Bottles: 02 Nos. medium size
- Pure Ghee - 2 kg or as required for frying
For Sugar Syrup
- Sugar - 01 kg
- Water- ½ litre
- Saffron-04 gm.
- Rose water- 15 ml
- Milk- 10 ml. for Clarification
- Muslin cloth for straining: 01 metre
- Silver leaf -4 sheets (Optional).
- Pistachio nuts (Slivered) - 50 gm.
- Almonds (Slivered)-30 gm.
- Rose petals, dried- 15 gm.
- Sieve refined flour and besan together. Add in a pinch of salt and beaten curds add warm oil and water. Prepare a batter of dropping consistency. Add yellow color / saffron colour(Optional).Keep it covered overnight or for 24 hours in winters.
- Prepare sugar syrup of one string consistency with sugar and water(2:1), stirring continuously on a medium flame or else the sugar will caramelize. Add saffron strands. Add milk to clarify it, remove the scum from the surface with the help of a ladle and discard. Add rose water. Strain through a muslin cloth and use as and when required.
- Heat ghee in a jalebi karahi.
- Put prepared batter in a Squeeze bottle or in a muslin cloth (with a hole) and gently squeeze the batter into hot ghee in spiral shapes. Start from the outside and work inwards for better results Fry till crisp. (Do not over-brown)
- Remove when done & immediately dip into warm sugar syrup for 02 minutes.
- Remove and serve hot garnished with Silver leaf (Optional), pistachio nuts and almond slivers. Sprinkle dried rose petals.
- I personally suggest not to use food colour , you may instead use a very good quality Bengal gram flour.
- Batter can be poured through a plastic sauce dispenser bottle into the hot fat in a Jalebi Karahi.
- In Winters to ferment batter properly add a little readymade batter from your trusted sweet vendor / Halwai into your ingredients of batter.