This delectable rich and creamy pudding is prepared with Sago / tapioca Pearls with the goodness of fresh coconut milk, mildly flavoured with freshly ground green cardamom and garnished with lightly sautéed coconut slices.
Soaking Time for Sabudana- 1 hour
Preparation Time: 05 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Chilling Time in Refrigerator- 2 hours or more as desired
Ingredients and Quantity:
Sago (sabudana) soaked -01 cup
Fresh Coconut Milk, thick -03 cups
Coconut cream- 2 tbsp.
Coconut Water- ½ cup
Sugar-1/4th cup or more as desired
Green cardamom powder -½ tsp.
Salt- a pinch
Coconut oil- ½ tbsp.
For the Garnish:
Lightly sautéed and sliced fresh coconut: ½ tbsp.
In a deep non-stick pan add the coconut milk and coconut water. Heat it on a medium flame and add the soaked sabudana, mix, simmer and cook till transparent and done. Add the coconut cream. Mix well.
Add sugar, a pinch of salt and continue to cook. Add the cardamom powder and mix well. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
Cool it down completely. Transfer in a glass bowl, cover and refrigerate at least for two hours.
Serve chilled garnished lightly sautéed coconut slices.
- Wash the sabudana till the water is clear i.e. for 4 to 5 times and then soak it for 01 hour.
- Do not add too much of cardamom powder as it will mask the delicate flavours of coconut.
- A pinch of salt is added to kheer, as it enhances and brings out the flavors and sweetness within.
- Place the sautéed coconut slices on a kitchen absorbent paper to remove excess of oil.
- If you want the kheer to have a crunch, add chopped and lightly sautéed coconut to it just before service.