Creamy and Luscious curry from Kerala, is a great comfort food that goes best with steamed rice. Prepared with Muringakka (Drumsticks) , powerhouse of nutrition and a fragrant and delectable curry prepared with fresh coconut, shallots, green chillies, garlic, turmeric and cumin seeds, tempered with coconut oil , mustard seeds, curry leaves ,whole dried red chillies and sliced shallots.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients and Quantity:
Muringakka (drumsticks), cut into 3 inch long pieces and peel – 300 gm.
Tomatoes, quartered- 2 large
Water -500 ml
Salt -to taste
For Grinding into a fine and smooth paste:
Fresh coconut, grated- 2 cups
Shallots, sliced- 12 nos.
Garlic, peeled- 8 cloves
Green Chillies- 4 nos.
Cumin seeds- 1 tbsp.
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp.
Salt -to taste
For the Tempering:
Coconut Oil- 30 ml
Mustard Seeds- 1/2 tsp.
Shallots (Madras onion) , sliced – 10 nos.
Whole dried red chillies- 4 nos.
Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Boil the drumstick pieces in water with salt, shallots in a deep pan for 5 minutes.
- Now add the quartered tomatoes and for another 3 minutes.
- Add the ground coconut paste and water , if required. Cover and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add salt , if required.
- In a tempering pan add and heat the coconut oil on a low-medium flame. Add the mustard seeds, let them crackle , add the sliced shallots and whole dried red chillies. When the shallots turn brown, add the curry leaves. Remove from the flame, and pour the tempering over the drumstick curry.
- Cover with a lid for some time so the flavours can infuse into the curry.
- Mix lightly and ensure that you don’t break the drumsticks.
- Serve hot.
- Goes best with steamed rice.
While grinding the coconut into a paste you may add fennel seeds, red chilli powder, coriander powder and an inch of peeled ginger, to enhance the flavour.
To make it a little tangy you may add 1/2 tbsp of tamarind pulp.