The scrumptious blend of Milk and ground fragrant Rice, with a dash of sugar, flavored with sun-kissed Alphonso mangoes ,is laced with saffron, garnished with almonds, pistachio nuts and edible dried rose petals.
Soaking Time for Rice- 01 hour
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes to 60 minutes
Chilling Time in Refrigerator: 1-1 ½ hours
Ingredients and Quantity:
Full cream milk -1 ¼ th litres
Basmati Rice, soaked -1/4th cup
Fresh Alphonso puree- ½ cup
Saffron, broiled -01 gm.
Pistachios – 1/4th tbsp.
Sugar -1/4th cup or as required
For the garnish:
Almonds, slivered- ½ tbsp.
Pistachio slivered-1/2 tbsp.
Saffron, broiled-1/2 gm.
Rose Petals, edible and dried-02 tsp.
- Pick, wash and soak rice for one hour.
- Boil milk in a heavy bottomed pan and set aside. Drain and grind the rice coarsely.
- Broil saffron and set aside. Blanch pistachios, peel and cut into slivers.
- Add the coarsely ground rice paste to the milk and cook stirring continuously so that there are no lumps and it does not burn or stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add Sugar and mix. Add saffron and mix. When the mixtures starts thickening take it off the flame. Cool it completely add Alphonso mango puree.
- Pour into soaked Kasoras / earthenware pots and keep them in the refrigerator to chill for 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Serve chilled garnished with slivered Almonds, pistachio nuts, saffron and dried edible rose petals.
If this Phirni needs to be prepared for fasting then use Sama (Samvat Rice) soaked for the same time, instead of Basmati Rice.