Let’s Celebrate Holi with a Fistful of Vibrant Colors and Flavors to tickle your taste buds. What say?
This scrumptious blend of Milk and ground fragrant Rice, with a dash of sugar, flavored with Spicy Thandai paste and Fresh Orange Pulp, drizzled with rose water and laced with saffron, garnished with pistachio nuts, almonds, lightly toasted melon seeds and edible dried rose petals is a complete hit…..
Soaking Time for Rice- 01 hour
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes to 60 minutes
Chilling Time in Refrigerator: 3 to 4 hours
Ingredients and Quantity:
Full cream milk -1 ¼ th litres
Basmati Rice, soaked -1/4th cup
Saffron, broiled -1/4 th gm.
Pistachios -60 gm.
Sugar -1/2 cup or as required
Green cardamom powder – ½ teaspoon
Rose water- ½ tbsp.
For the Flavoring:
Thandai Paste- 1 ½ tbsp.
Fresh Orange pulp, strained- 03 tbsp.
For the garnish:
Pistachio -06 nos.
Almonds- 06 nos.
Saffron, broiled-1/2 gm.
Rose Petals, edible and dried-02 tsp.
Broiled Saffron- a few strands
- Pick, wash and soak rice for one hour.
- Boil milk in a heavy bottomed pan and set aside. Drain and grind the rice coarsely.
- Broil saffron and set aside. Blanch pistachios and almonds peel and cut into slivers.
- Add the coarsely ground rice paste to the milk and cook stirring continuously so that there are no lumps and it does not burn or stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add Sugar and mix. Add green cardamom powder, saffron and mix. Add rose water. When the mixtures starts thickening add the Thandai Paste and cook for 05 minutes. Take it off the flame.
- Let it cool down completely.
- Add the Strained Orange pulp.
- Mix well.
- Pour into soaked Kasoras / earthenware pots and keep them in the refrigerator to chill for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve chilled garnished with slivered pistachio nuts, almonds, melon seeds, broiled saffron and dried edible rose petals.
Taste the orange before adding it to the Phirni, so that the bitter ones are discarded and the much sweeter ones are used.