This scrumptious blend of milk and ground fragrant Rice, with a dash of sugar, is flavored with Fresh Orange Pulp, drizzled with rose water and garnished with pistachio nuts and almonds is a complete hit…..
Soaking Time for Rice- 1 1/2 hour
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes to 60 minutes
Chilling Time in Refrigerator: 3 to 4 hours
Ingredients and Quantity:
Full cream milk -1 ¼ th litres
Basmati Rice, soaked -1/4th cup
Saffron- a pinch
Pistachio nuts, slivered -06 nos.
Almonds, slivered- 12 nos.
Sugar -1/2 cup or as required
Green cardamom powder – ½ teaspoon
Rose water- ½ tbsp.
For the Flavoring:
Fresh Orange pulp, strained- ½ cup
For the garnish:
Pistachio nuts -06 nos.
Almonds- 06 nos.
- Pick, wash and soak rice for one hour.
- Boil milk in a heavy bottomed pan and set aside. Drain and grind the rice coarsely.
- Cut the pistachios and almonds into slivers.
- Add the coarsely ground rice paste to the milk and cook stirring continuously so that there are no lumps and it does not burn or stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add Sugar and mix. Add green cardamom powder, saffron and mix. Add rose water. When the mixtures starts thickening .Take it off the flame.
- Let it cool down completely.
- Add the strained fresh orange pulp.
- Mix well.
- Pour into soaked Kasoras / earthenware pots and keep them in the refrigerator to chill for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve chilled garnished with slivered pistachio nuts and almonds.
- Taste the orange before adding it to the Phirni, so that the bitter ones are discarded and the much sweeter ones are used.
- You may use Almond milk instead of full cream milk.
- During fasting you may use Sama rice instead of the fragrant / basmati rice