A Rajasthani drink to beat the heat , a thirst quencher prepared with Tamarind pulp , lightly toasted and freshly ground black peppercorns and cumin seeds, flavoured with green cardamom powder, ajwain powder to sooth your stomach, a sweetening agent usually sugar but have replaced it with jaggery powder with a pinch of Rock salt .
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Chilling Time: 2 Hours
Ingredients and Quantity:
For the Amlana:
Tamarind Pulp- 8 tbsp.
Black Peppercorns, lightly toasted and freshly ground- 1/4th tsp.
Cumin seeds,lightly toasted and freshly ground- 1 tsp.
Carom seeds powder- 2 tsp.
Rock Salt- 1 tsp
Sugar / Jaggery powder- 6 tbsp.
For the Garnish:
Fresh Mint Leaves- 2 sprigs
- Add 4 cups of water to tamarind pulp and mix well.
- Grind together ingredients mentioned from Black pepper powder to Jaggery powder to a very fine powder.
- Add this fine powdered ingredients / spices to the tamarind water and mix well.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Pour into glasses.
- You may add crushed ice or ice cubes.
- Serve chilled garnished with fresh mint leaves, whole / chopped.
- If you did like your drink to be spicy add a pinch of red chilli powder to it and mix well.
2. You may increase or decrease the quantity of tamarind pulp , if desired.
3. I personally suggest adding Jaggery powder instead of sugar.
4. How about adding a little boondi in the chilled Amlana before consuming it.