Quick and easy to make, this vegetable is not only nutritious but delicious too.
Preparation Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 12 min.
Ingredients and Quantity:
Tondli (Tindora or Tendli, Ivy gourd), sliced thinly, head and tail to be discarded- 250 gm.
Refined Oil- 1 ½ tbsp.
Mustard seeds- ½ tsp.
Curry leaves- 01 sprig
Asafoetida (Hing)- a pinch
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp.
Green chilli, slit- 01 no.
Salt -to taste
Red chilli powder- 1/4th tsp.
Fresh Coconut, grated- 02 tbsp.
- In a non-stick pan heat the oil on medium heat.
- Once hot add mustard seeds. Let them splutter / crackle
- Add the curry leaves.
- Add asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Add the slit green chilli.
- Now add the sliced Tondli.
- Mix well with a flat spoon.
- Add salt and red chilli powder.
- Mix lightly without breaking the tondli.
- Cover and cook. Sprinkle a little water.
- Once they are tender. Cook uncovered for a minute.
- Switch off the flame.
- Serve hot garnished with grated fresh coconut.
- Goes best with hot phulkas / Roti.
- You may add ½ tsp. of goda masala, if desired.
- You may add coarsely ground peanuts.
- You may sprinkle the prepared vegetable with lemon juice.
- You may garnish it with finely chopped cilantro along with grated fresh coconut.