Tantalizing Halwa prepared with grated Bottle Gourd and carrots, Coconut milk, sugar, khoya and a mix of dry fruits garnished with slivered nuts and edible dried rose petals.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients and Quantity:
Bottle Gourd, grated-325 gm.
Carrots, red, grated-325 gm.
Coconut Milk, thick- 325 ml.
Sugar-150 gm. / as required
Mawa (Khoya)-04 tbsp.
Green cardamom powder-02 gm.
Cashew nuts-10 gm.
Pistachio nuts- 10 gm.
For the Garnish:
Silver leaf ( Silver paper ,Chandi ka varq)- 02 sheets Optional
Pistachio nuts- 05 gm.
Cashew nuts- 05 gm;
Almonds- 05 gm.
Edible dried rose petals- 01 tsp.
In a heavy bottomed deep pan, add grated bottle gourd and carrots. Cook for till the moisture dries up.
Add coconut milk. Stir.
Cook till soft and milk is absorbed for 15 to 20 minutes on a slow flame. Continue stirring in order to prevent it to sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning.
Add sugar, when it thickens add grated mawa, cardamom powder, raisins, cashew nuts and blanched and peeled almond slivers. Cook for 05 minutes.
Add a pinch of salt.
Serve hot or at room temperature or cold, as desired, topped with silver leaf ( silver paper, chandi ka varq) which is optional ,garnished with , cashew nuts , pistachio nuts and almond slivers and edible dried rose petals.
- Bottle Gourd seeds to be discarded and grated gourd to be added to water to prevent it from discoloring.
- Squeeze the water from the bottle gourd before you start preparing the halwa,
- A pinch of salt is added to Halwa, as it enhances and brings out the flavors and sweetness within.
- This halwa stays good if refrigerated for 04 days.
- To further enhance the flavor you may add a combination of coconut milk and coconut cream.
- You may sprinkle a little rose water, if desired.
- You may skip the addition of khoya