My absolutely all-time favorite comfort food is curd rice. A South Indian preparation which is not only super delicious but also very soothing to the stomach and soul, where the Cooked and completely cooled down Rice and whisked Curds are mixed together and is tempered and served chilled garnished with finely chopped fresh coriander leaves, Pomegranate Pearls, fried broken cashew nuts and whole red chillies.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Refrigeration Time: 30 minutes or more as desired
Ingredients and Quantity:
Rice, cooked till very soft- 02 cups
Curd, thick and whisked- 02 cups
Milk, lukewarm- 1/2 cup
Carrot , grated- 03 tbsp
Mustard seeds, soaked, coarsely ground- 1/4th tsp.
Salt –to taste
For the Tempering:
Refined Oil- 03 tbsp.
Mustard seeds- 01 tsp
Curry leaves -02 sprigs
Fenugreek seeds- 1/4th tsp.
Black gram dal, split-2 tsp
Whole red chillies-04 nos.
Cashew nuts, broken, -08 nos.
Ginger grated= 1 inch piece
Asafoetida- a pinch
For the Garnish:
Coriander leaves, finely chopped- 02 tbsp.
Pomegranate Pearls- 02 tbsp.
Dried red chillies,broken, fried-02 nos.
Cashew nuts, broken, fried- 02 tsp.
1. Cook the rice in enough water till very soft. When the rice is warm, slightly mash the rice ,add warm milk , coarsely ground mustard and salt and mix well
2. Allow the rice to come to room temperature.
3. Add the coarsely ground mustard paste , the thick whisked curd and grated carrots to the cooled, cooked rice. Mix well.
4. Heat oil in a non-stick pan, add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Add the curry leaves, black gram dal , fenugreek seeds ,ginger and whole red chillies.
5. Add asafoetida and mix well. Switch off the flame.
6. Pour this tempering over the curd rice and mix. Adjust salt if required.
7. Garnish with finely chopped fresh coriander leaves, fried cashew nuts ,dried red chillies and pomegranate pearls.
8. Place the curd rice in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
9. Serve chilled or at room temperature with the pickle and Papadum of your choice.
1. Do not add curd to hot rice.
2. You may add chopped green chillies in the tempering in addition to the ingredients mentioned.
3. You may use leftover rice to make curd rice.