This namkeen is not only lip-smacking but healthy too. Prepared with oil roasted/ toasted makhanas , with loads of nuts, super-seeds, toasted sliced dry coconut, curry leaves ,green chillies, rock salt, sprinkled with chaat masala and black pepper powder. Toss and eat with a hot ginger cutting chai or may be consumed during fasting.
Preparation Time:5 mins
Cooking Time:20 mins
Ingredients and Quantity:
Makhana, whole (Phool Makhana) (Fox Nuts) (Lotus Seeds)-2 cups
Peanut/ Sesame / Canola oil- 2 tbsp.
Almonds- 1/2 cup
Cashew nuts- 1/2 cup
Pepita Seeds- 1/4th cup
Raisins- 1/4th cup
Dry Coconut, sliced thinly-1/4th cup
Curry leaves, washed & pat dry- 2 sprigs
Green Chillies, Slit-2 or more, as desired
Rock Salt- to taste
Chaat Masala- 3/4th tsp
Black peppercorns, roasted and freshly ground-3/4 th tsp
In a heavy-bottomed pan, heat 1/2 tbsp of oil, add makhanas and saute onna medium flame, until it attains a light golden colour.
Transfer into a big glass bowl.
Heat 1 tbsp. of oil , add almonds and cashew nuts , saute till they acquire light golden colour.
Add them into the makhanas.
Now add pepita seeds, saute for few seconds, add raisins saute and ensure it does not burn.
Add them to bowl of makhanas and nuts.
Heat 1/2 tbsp of oil, add thinly sliced dry coconut, saute for few sec, now add curry leaves and slit green chillies.
Stir and saute till the coconut turns a little reddish in colour.
Add this to the bowl.
Now add rock salt, chaat masala, black pepper powder and mix lightly.
You may toss it.
Cool it down completely and place it in a dry airtight container, if not eating it immediately.
Serve it to your guests this Diwali.
- You may add smoked paprika or Kashmiri red chilli powder , if desired.
- To further enhance its flavour you may add sun-dried crushed mint leaves.
- If you are not consuming it for fasting then you may add crushed garlic to it.
- You may replace the oil with clarified butter.
- You may add char magaz or nuts of your choice.
- If you are a peanut fan, do add them too.
- If you see that the namkeen has turned soggy after a few days, you may air fry them or spread them on a baking tray and bake them in an oven for 8 to 10 mins at 300 degrees F.