This pickle spice-mix not only is free from any preservatives. Adds magical flavors to your dishes, may it be a raita, vegetarian or a non-vegetarian dish.
Preparation Time: 06 to 08 minutes
Dry Roasting Time: 08 to 10 minutes
Serves: 10 to 12
Ingredients and Quantity:
Whole red chillies, dried, seeds and removed and discarded -10 nos.
Coriander seeds- 01 tbsp.
Fennel Seeds- 03 tbsp.
Mustard seeds- 1 ½ tbsp.
Cumin Seeds- 03 tbsp.
Fenugreek seeds- ½ tsp.
Nigella Seeds- 01 tsp.
Carom seeds- ½ tsp.
Turmeric powder- 01 tsp.
Asafoetida- ½ tsp
Dry Mango Powder- 1 ½ tsp. / or more as desired
Salt- 02 tbsp. / less as required
In a heavy bottomed non-stick pan, dry roast whole red chilies, coriander seeds, onion seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds fenugreek seeds and carom seeds till light brown.
Cool it completely and set aside.
Blend with the help of a blender the ingredients set aside, with the remaining ingredients to make a finely ground powder.
Store in a dry airtight container for up to 30 days in a cool and dry place or can be refrigerated for about 45 days.
- I personally suggest you to use Kashmiri whole red chillies in the preparation of this masala.
- I prefer grinding it till fine, but you may grind it till it is of coarse texture.
- Do not over-roast the ingredients as they tend to burn and impart bitter flavor to the masala making it unusable.
- You may use this masala for Indian Pickling / Pickle spice mix in vegetables, paneer, curries, starters or Achari raita.
- You may also add this pickle spice-mix in the Indian non-vegetarian preparations
- Add a little magic of this pickle spice-mix to the filling / stuffing of Aloo parathas.