Stir-Fried rice prepared with chicken, eggs, spring onions with a dash of Soya Sauce.
Preparation Time: 30-35 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients and Quantity:
Rice – 250 gm.
Salt – to taste
Sesame oil – 02 tbsp.
Garlic paste -02 tsp.
Spring onions, chopped very fine – 100 gm.
Chicken boneless ,cooked and cut into thin strips- ½ cup
Eggs, whisked lightly- 01 no
Celery, finely chopped – 01 stalk
Carrots, small cubes, blanched and refreshed- 01 no. small
Soya sauce- 02 tsp.
Vinegar- 01 tsp
Chilli sauce- 01 tsp
Hot Water – 06 / 08 times the amount of rice as we are preparing by draining maethod
Spring onion greens, finely chopped- 01 stalk
For the Accompaniment:
Omelette- 01 no.
Cucumber slices- 04 nos.
Spring onion green-01 stalk.
Boil the rice with salt and ½ Tbsp. of oil, till ¾ th done in hot water. 1: 8 i.e. 01 part of rice to 08 parts of hot water OR 1: 6 i.e. 01 part of rice to 06 parts of hot water.
Drain and rinse under cold water.
Leave in the colander and drizzle ½ Tbsp. of oil into it.
In a Chinese wok heat the rest of the oil and sauté the garlic and onions, till onions are translucent.
Add the chicken and stir-fry till well mixed. Add the whisked egg. Add the carrots (Optional)
Add the soya sauce, vinegar and chilli sauce, toss well and add the rice.
Toss till rice and chicken are well mixed.
Serve hot garnished with spring onion greens and accompanied with an omelette, sliced cucumber and spring onion green stalk.
- Mustard oil is heated in the pan with no other ingredients until it reaches a temperature where the first wisps of smoke appear. It is then taken off the flame and allowed to cool a little before adding ingredients to be cooked. This procedure removes the acrid taste of the raw oil and renders it quite pleasant.
- Traditional Kashmiri Rogan Josh has thin red-coloured curry and a thick layer of oil on top.
- The oil should rise to the top of the saucepan, which means the curry is ready.
- The red colour comes from the Kashmiri red chillies and roots of the plant called Ratan Jot.
- Choose mutton with high fat content.