Tamar Al Hindi is a very popular sweet and sour Ramadan drink which is very refreshing. It is prepared with Tamarind, sugar and water.
Preparation Time: 08 Hours 15 minutes includes the time of soaking time of Tamarind Overnight
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Chilling Time in Refrigerator– 30 minutes
Ingredients and Quantity:
Tamarind Pulp- 125 gm
Sugar- 175 gm. / or more if desired
Water- 1 litre
Rose water- 15 ml
Salt- a pinch
Ginger juice- 01 tsp.
Muslin / cheese cloth for straining: 1/4th metre
Soak the Tamarind pulp in 750 ml. of water overnight. Mash it properly in the morning add Ginger juice to it. Add sugar, mix well to dissolve.
Bring it to a boil and then simmer it for 10 minutes. Remove and discard any foam that appears on the top. Add a pinch of salt. Mix. Switch off the flame.
Strain it through a cheese / muslin cloth.
Cool it down completely.
Refrigerate it to chill, till 30 minutes. You will find that it is very thick.
Pour it in a glass jug.
Add more chilled water i.e. 250 ml to dilute it .
Add rose water and mix.
Add the ice cubes and pour in the serving glasses and serve it chilled.
- You may add rose syrup i.e. 1/4th, if you want to have a deep red colour for this tongue tantalizing drink.
- You may make it instantly by just soaking the tamarind in water for 2 hours, but I suggest soaking it overnight, to extract maximum flavour from the tamarind.
- You may add a little green cardamom powder, if desired.
- You may skip adding the Ginger juice.
- You may garnish it with fresh mint leaves.