King of fruits has arrived, yes you heard me right I am talking about “Alphonso Mango”!!!!!
Can we try something different????…………….. A Kebab with a Twist!!!!
- PREP TIME: 25 minutes
- COOK TIME: 08 to 10 minutes. For the sauce.
- FIRST MARINATION TIME: 20 minutes.
- SECOND MARINATION TIME: 0Overnight in a refrigerator covered with cling wrap or minimum 04 Hours in a refrigerator covered with cling wrap.
- OVEN TEMPERATURE: 415˚F.
- TIME FOR OVEN ROASTING (ON GRILL): 20 minutes
- SERVES: 04
Luscious chicken chunks wrapped with the puree of king of fruitsss, yes it is Alphonso Mango, cheese, fresh cream and paprika, sprinkled with lemon juice, accompanied with Mango garlic and paprika sauce.
Ingredients and Quantity
- Chicken leg without skin, boneless- 500 gm. cut into 02 inch cubes
- Ginger paste- 01 tbsp.
- Garlic paste- 01 tbsp.
- Honey- ½ tbsp.
- Saffron strands, broiled- 02 gm.
- Salt-02 gm.
- Raw papaya paste- ¼ th cup (It is a meat tenderizer)
- Fresh basil leaves- 02 tsp.
- Alphonso Mango puree- 200 ml.
- Paprika- ½ tsp
- Lemon zest, grated- ¼ th tsp.
- Almond, blanched, peeled paste- 01 tsp.
- Khoya (Khoa. Mawa), grated- 04 tbsp.
- Corn flour- 02 tsp.
- Fresh cream- ¼ th cup
- Hung curd- ½ cup
- Cinnamon powder- ½ tsp.
- Mace powder- ½ tsp.
- Salt- To taste.
For basting the chicken pieces:
- Extra virgin olive oil- 1 ½ tbsp.
For Mango-garlic-paprika sauce:
- Extra Virgin olive oil- 20 ml.
- Alphonso Mango Puree-150 ml.
- Garlic cloves- 02 nos.
- Paprika – 1/4th tsp.
- Sugar- 1/4th tsp.
- Salt- To taste
For the first marination:
- Clean and wash chicken pieces thoroughly.
- With a kitchen napkin / paper kitchen towel, pat dry the pieces to remove excess of moisture in it.
- a glass bowl, combine the chicken pieces with ginger & garlic paste, honey, saffron, salt and raw papaya paste. Mix well. Cover with a cling wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
For the second marination:
- Remove the marinated chicken pieces from the refrigerator and keep aside. Coarsely grind fresh basil leaves without water using a mortar and pestle.
- To this ground mixture add Alphonso mango puree, paprika, grated lemon zest, almond paste grated khoya, corn flour, fresh cream, hung curd, cinnamon powder, mace powder and salt- To taste. Now add the marinated chicken pieces to the second marinate. Keep it covered with a cling wrap refrigerated, overnight.
For preparing the Mango-Garlic and paprika sauce:
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a nonstick sauce pan, add puree of Alphonso mangoes, cook for 03 minutes add garlic cloves and paprika, sugar and salt. Let it cook for 05 minutes. Once it incorporates the mild flavor of garlic strain and use as an accompaniment.
For preparing the Kebab:
- Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and keep aside for 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 415˚F in a grill mode for 10 minutes.
- On a baking sheet, place an aluminium foil sheet.
- Take the skewer rods and insert the chicken pieces.
- Keep it on top rack of the oven for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle the remaining marinade on them and drizzle little extra virgin olive oil over the chicken pieces. Once it is done, turn over the skewer rods and keep it for another 10 minutes.
For serving the kebabs:
- In a serving plate, serve the kabebs very hot accompanied with Mango-garlic-paprika sauce.
- I prefer that the chicken be marinated overnight so that it is much juicer, flavourful and aromatic.
- Drizzling with the leftover marinade and extra virgin olive oil keeps the chicken kebabs juicier and tender.
- You may use a tandoor or barbecue for the kebabs.
- The reason for adding garlic cloves, whole is so that the garlic does not dominate the flavor of the Alphonso Mangoes and paprika.