““This recipe is been created for The Urban Spice and KitchenAid India Diwali Contest” www.theurbanspice.com
- PREP TIME:15 minutes
- COOK TIME:1 ½ hours
- SERVES:04 pax.
- CUISINE: North Indian - Fusion
- COURSE: Mithais (Indian Sweets)
Shocking, yes it isssssss!!!!! I wanted to innovate this recipe, especially for people who have a palate for both spicy / hot and sweet flavour. Kutch Theekha Kutch Meetha. A rich creamy dessert made with thickened milk, flavoured with stewed seedless green chillies, honey, green cardamom powder and garnished with stewed seedless sliced green chillies, honey, slivered almonds, pistachio nuts and broiled saffron.
For the Rabri
- Full cream milk- 05 cups
- Sugar- ½ cup
- Green Cardamom powder- ¼ th tsp.
- Pistachio nuts, blanched, peeled and chopped-10 gm.
- Almonds, blanched, peeled and chopped- 10 gm.
- Other Ingredients: Baby Rasgullas / chenna murki- 16 nos.
- For stewing the green chillies: Honey- 25 ml
- Water- 120 ml
- For the Flavouring: Green chillies, deseeded, thinly sliced stewed in honey -02
- Honey- 30 ml.
For the Garnishing
- Green chillies, deseeded, finely sliced- 01 no.
- Honey- 02 tsp.
- Saffron, broiled- 01 gm.
- Pistachio nuts, blanched, peeled and slivered-10 gm.
- Almonds, blanched, peeled and slivered- 10 gm.
- In a heavy bottomed non-stick pan boil 60 ml of water, add 20 ml of honey and all the deseeded slices of green chillies. Strain and divide into ¾ th and ¼ th portions i.e. to be added in the rabri and for the garnish.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add milk, bring to a boil. Add the sugar and cardamom powder and simmer over low flame / heat. Do not stir too often, as a layer of cream should form over it. After the layer is formed, keep pushing it away from the sides towards the centre with the help of a wooden spatula.
- Keep stirring the milk below it gently to avoid scorching / burning. Repeat the process till 1/3 rd of the volume of milk is left. The wider the vessel and the richer the milk, the faster it will thicken. When done, the colour changes to a beige-cream / off white, and the cream that was pushed aside, collects in layers. Add the chopped nuts.
- Add stewed green chilli slices, the baby rasgullas / chenna murki, stir gently.Remove from the flame.Add honey. Stir gently, taking care that you don’t break the baby rasgullas / chenna murki.
- Let it cool.Transfer to a serving dish / clay pots. Refrigerate to chill for at least 01 hour.
For the Serving:
- Serve chilled garnished with deseeded sliced green chillies stewed in honey, honey, broiled saffron, almond and pistachio nut slivers.
- You may use silver leaf to top this dessert to make it more attractive, but remember to apply it before you garnish the dessert.
- Make sure that the milk does not burn as, then it is next to impossible to rectify the burnt milk.
- You may increase the no. of green chillies as per your taste.
- You may add a few drops of kewra essence or natural screw pine essence / Rose water when the Rabri is done.
- You may make this rabri without sugar i.e. only with honey as a sweetener , in that case increase the quantity of honey and add it to the milk when thickened and removed from the flame.