- SOAKING TIME: 3 Hours
- PREP TIME: 10 minutes
- COOK TIME : 15 minutes
- MAKES: 12 Medu Vadas
Medu Vadas are a traditional South Indian dish which is crispy delectable and are made with spiced urad dal batter and fried in donut shape dumplings, it can be served as a main course, side dish, or snack accompanied with coconut chutney and sambar.
Ingredients and Quantity
- Urad dal (Husked and Split Black Gram)-01 cup
- Green Chillies, roughly chopped-1/2 tbsp.
- Black peppercorns, crushed- 04 nos.
- Curry leaves-08 nos.
- Ginger, finely chopped-3/4th tsp.
- Salt-To taste
- Refined oil- as required for deep frying.
- Clean , wash and soak the dal for 03 hours in enough water.
- Drain it and add the chopped green chilles, crushed peppercorn, curry leaves and ginger.
- In a blender, make a smooth and thick batter by adding little water. Add salt and mix.
- Divide into 12 equal portions and keep aside.
- Dampen your palms with water, take a portion of mixture and make a hole in the centre with the help of your thumb.
- Deep fry in hot oil in a heavy bottomed kadai, ensuring that both the sides of vada are evenly cooked, crisp and golden brown.
- Drain on an absorbent paper to remove excess of oil.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and Sambhar.
- You may add finely chopped fresh coconut pieces and roasted crushed cumin to the batter.