- PREP TIME: 20-25 minutes
- BAKING TIME: 40-45 minutes
- BAKING TEMPERATURE : 180◦C / 360◦F
- MAKES: 40 small squares
Ingredients and Quantity
For the dough
- Whole Wheat flour- ½ cup
- Semolina-1/4th cup
- Chickpea flour- 01 cup
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp.
- Extra Virgin Olive oil- 01 tbsp.
- Salt- to taste
- Water, to knead- as required
For the Filling
- Poppy seeds, lightly dry roasted- 1/4th cup
- Sesame seeds, lightly dry roasted – 1/4th cup
- Desiccated Coconut, dry roasted till golden brown- 1/4th cup
- Ginger, grated- ½ tbsp.
- Green Chilli, coarsely ground- ½ tbsp.
- Coriander Powder- ¼ th tbsp.
- Mango powder-1/4th tsp.
- Garam masala powder- 1/4th tsp.
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp.
- Cumin powder-1/2 tsp
- Carom seeds- ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Coriander leaves, chopped- ½ tbsp.
- Mint Leaves, chopped- 3/4th tbsp.
- Honey- 02 tsp.
- Lemon juice- 15 ml
- Olive oil- 01tbsp. for applying on the SS table and palette knife
- In a glass bowl combine all ingredients mentioned for the dough and stir well. Add water very little at a time and knead to a firm dough. Cover with a moist muslin cloth and keep aside for some time.
- In a mixer, coarsely grind add all the ingredients mentioned in the filling from poppy seeds to mint leaves. Once it is done add lemon juice and honey, mix well and keep aside. Preheat the oven to 180◦ C. Divide the dough into two portions. Apply the stainless steel working table top with oil.
- Place 01 portion of dough and roll evenly take square cookie cutters and cut them. Place the filling on each square. With a. oiled palette knife press them so that the filling remains intact.
- Now roll the other portion of dough and cut into squares as mentioned above.
- Place each square on top of the prepared bhakarwadi. Again with an oiled palette knife press them gently
Arrange them on a greased baking tray. Bake them at 180 ◦C for about 35 to 40 minutes until crispy.
- After baking, cool them completely and serve it with mint coriander dip and store in an airtight container, if not consumed immediately.
- Kindly note: I have given a variation in the shape from the traditional pinwheel kind of Bhakarwadi.