- PREP TIME: 45 minutes
- COOKING TIME INCLUDING STEAMING: 20 minutes
- CUISINE: Maharashtrian
- COURSE: Indian Sweet
- SERVES: 12
Sweet steamed dumpling prepared with rice flour and filled with scrumptious filling of Jaggery and fresh grated coconut flavoured with green cardamom and nutmeg powder, served hot drizzled with melted pure ghee.
The Secret ingredient in my recipe and preparation of Ukadiche Modak is Lord Ganehassss blessingsssssssssssssssssssssss !!!!!!
Ingredients and Quantity
- Measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml
For the covering
- Rice flour-1 1/2 cups
- Water- 1 1/4th cups
- Salt-a pinch
- Oil ½ tsp and pure ghee- ½ tsp
- Oil-1 teaspoon for greasing
For covering the dough
Muslin cloth, damp- ½ metre
For the stuffing/ filling
- Fresh coconut grated-1 1/2 cups
- Jaggery, grated-01 cup
- Poppy seeds lightly roasted-01 tablespoon
- Green cardamom powder- ¼ th tsp
- Nutmeg powder- a pinch
For the Covering
- In a deep non-stick heavy bottomed pan, add 1 ¼ th cups of water and bring it boil.
- Add the ghee, salt, oil and rice flour, mix well and cook for 03 to 04minutes. Cover in between with a tight fitting lid and cook while stirring in between.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Transfer the mixture on a flat moisture free and greased plate and knead well to prepare a soft dough.
- Keep the dough covered with a damp muslin cloth to prevent it from drying
For the stuffing / filling
In a thick bottomed non-stick pan, combine the coconut and jaggery and cook on medium heat for 02 minutes till light golden brown in colour. Make sure that you do not overcook the mixture as it will impart darker colour and the mixture will tend to become bitter. Add the lightly roasted poppy seeds, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder.
Preparation of Modaks
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and shape them into neat balls. Grease the palms of your hands and spread each ball to form a 2 ½ inch bowl. Press the edges of the bowls to reduce the thickness. If it is too thick there are chances of the modak remaining very raw even after steaming it
- Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre; neatly pleat the edges of the dough and gather them together to form a bundle. Pinch to seal the edges at the top.
- Heat sufficient water in a steamer. Place the modak on a perforated plate in the steamer and steam for 12 to 15 minutes.