- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME : 1 to 1 ½ hours
- REFRIGERATION TIME: 1 hours
- SERVES: 4 pax
- COURSE: : Dessert / Indian Sweet
A rich crisp and dessert prepared with toasted /fried bread drizzled with thickened milk, flavoured with custard apple ,green cardamom powder and garnished silver leaf, slivered pistachio nuts and almonds.
Ingredients and Quantity
- Bread, crust removed- 08 slices (usually cut into triangles)
- Clarified Butter- 60 gm. / as required to fry the bread
- Mildly sweetened warm milk / sugar syrup- 150 ml. / as required for dipping the fried bread.
For the Rabri
- Full cream milk- 05 cups
- Sugar- ½ cup
- Pistachio nuts, blanched, peeled and chopped-10 gm.
- Almonds, blanched, peeled and chopped- 10 gm.
For the Flavouring
- Sitaphal / Custard Apple pulp- 01 cup
- Green Cardamom powder- ¼ th tsp.
For the Garnishing
- Saffron, broiled- 01 gm. (Optional)
- Silver Leaf -01 sheet
- Raisins-15 gm.
- Pistachio nuts, blanched, peeled and slivered-10 gm.
- Almonds, blanched, peeled and slivered-10 gm.
- Fresh rose petals- 08 nos.
For the Rabri:
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add milk, bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar and cardamom powder and simmer over low flame / heat.
- Do not stir too often, as a layer of cream should form over it.
- After the layer is formed, keep pushing it away from the sides towards the centre with the help of a wooden spatula
- Keep stirring the milk below it gently to avoid scorching / burning.
- Repeat the process till 1/3 rd of the volume of milk is left.
- The wider the vessel and the richer the milk, the faster it will thicken.
- When done, the colour changes to a beige-cream / off white, and the cream that was pushed aside, collects in layers. Add the chopped nuts.
- Remove from the flame.
- Let it cool. Add the Custard Apple Pulp, mix well.
- Transfer to a glass bowl.
- Refrigerate to chill for at least 01 hour.
For the Shahi Tukda:
With the help of a cookie cutter cut the bread slices into neat round shapes usually it is cut into triangles but I personally prefer cutting into a round shape. Shallow fry in clarified butter. Place on an absorbent paper to remove excess of clarified butter.
For the Serving:
- Place the fried Bread, dip in sugar syrup / mildly sweetened warm milk for 05 -08 minutes.
- Place on the serving plate, pour the Rabri over the fried bread.
- Serve chilled garnished with broiled saffron (Optional), Silver leaf, Raisins, slivered pistachio nut and almonds. You may also garnish it with fresh rose petals.
- Make sure that the milk does not burn as, then it is next to impossible to rectify the burnt milk.
- You may add a few drops of kewra essence or natural screw pine essence / Rose water when the Rabri is done.
- You may use brown bread or multi grain bread, as per your preference.