- PREP TIME: 20 minutes
- COOK TIME : 30 minutes
- SERVES: 4 Pax
- CUISINE: Punjabi
- COURSE: Desserts
Traditional Punjabi winter dessert prepared with grated carrots, pure ghee, milk , sugar, khoya and a mix of dry fruits laced with broiled saffron.
Ingredients and Quantity
- Carrots, red-650 gm.
- Pure ghee-02 tbsp.
- Milk-650 ml.
- Sugar-150 gm. / as required
- Mawa (Khoya)-04 tbsp.
- Green cardamom powder-02 gm.
- Raisins-15 gm.
- Cashew nuts-15 gm.
- Almond-15 gm.
- Salt-A pinch
- Silver leaf ( Silver paper ,Chandi ka varq)- 02 sheets Optional
- Raisins- 05 gm.
- Cashew nuts- 05 gm;
- Almonds- 05 gm.-01 gm.
- Broiled Saffron-01 gm.
- Pre-preparation: Wash, scrape and grate carrots. Blanch, peel and cut almonds into slivers.
- Preparation and Cooking: Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed deep pan ,add grated carrots. Cook for 10 minutes till the moisture in the carrots dries up. Add milk. Stir.
- Cook till soft and milk is absorbed for 15 minutes. Continue stirring in order to prevent it to sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning.
- Add sugar, when it thickens add grated mawa, cardamom powder, raisins, cashew nuts and blanched and peeled almond slivers. Cook for 05 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- To Serve: Serve hot or at room temperature or cold, as desired, topped with silver leaf ( silver paper, chandi ka varq) which is optional ,garnished with raisins, cashew nuts and almond slivers and laced with broiled saffron.
- A pinch of salt is added to Gajrela, as it enhances and brings out the flavors and sweetness within.
- Gajrela stays good if refrigerated for 04 days.
- You may also add Pistachio nuts, blanched, peeled and slivered both in the preparation and as a garnish.
- To enhance the flavor further you may add a combination of almond milk and milk.
- You may sprinkle a little rose water, if desired.