- PREP TIME: 5 minutes
- COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
- SERVES: 04
A rich and delectable halwa from North India, prepared with Bengal Gram Flour, Clarified Butter, flavored with green cardamom powder garnished with Pistachio nuts and almonds and laced with Saffron.
Ingredients and Quantity
- Besan (Bengal Gram Flour,Chickpeas Flour)-01 cup
- Clarified Butter (Ghee)-3/4th cup
- Sugar-3/4th cup/ as required
- Water- 3/4th cup
- Milk-3/4th cup
- Green Cardamom Powder-1/4th tsp
- Saffron- ¼ th gm.
- Pistachio nuts, slivered-10 gm.
- Almonds, slivered-10 gm.
For the covering
- Rose petals, dried- 01 tsp
- Pistachio nuts, slivered-05 gm.
- Almonds, slivered-05 gm.
For the Covering
- Add clarified butter in a heavy bottomed pan, add Bengal Gram flour and cook it on low flame till the raw aroma disappears and it gets a slightly reddish brown color.
- Keep stirring it in order to prevent it from burning, also so that it cooks evenly.
- In another sauce pan add sugar, water, milk, saffron, and cardamom powder.Let it boil for 5 minutes. Add it to the cooked Bengal gram flour mixture and mix it well.
- Add slivered nuts
- Mix well, stir it continuously till the mixture becomes thick in consistency and the clarified butter oozes out from the corners of the mixture. Remove from the flame.
- Serve hot garnished with slivered nuts and dried rose petals
- You can store the halwa in the refrigerator for a week. Reheat whenever required.